Sunday, March 5, 2017

Faces and Bright Colors (Week of 2/26/2017)


 I have quite a few pages that I ended up putting the finishing touches on this week (there are even a few that didn't make it to this post), and I'm super excited to share these ones. i feel as though I'm starting to fall into a little bit of a style after adjusting to familiarizing myself with art journaling once again.

With this first page, this was a page I had been wrestling with pretty much since I started the journal. Nothing wanted to work with me, so I eventually ended up painting over most of it in white and blending some purple into it. The blue on the left hand side of the page were some spray inks that bled up through, and the circles from a scrap of paper put the finishing touches on.


This is one of my favorite spreads in the entire journal.

Even though it isn't technically a two page spread, I like the way the two pages look sitting next to each other. I like the consistent theme of the color purple (one of my favorite colors for artwork) and the graphic doodling/collage elements that I incorporated.

The face on the right hand page is actually a face I had drawn with alcohol markers in one of my sketchbooks, and I scanned it to use as a collage element (the body is mostly painted in on this page).


This is another one of the more interesting spreads in my journal, in my opinion, and I absolutely adore the bright colors.

I've been experimenting a bit with using journaling as a design element, as well as contrasting black with super bright and exciting colors. I've also been playing with cutting out graphic, blocky shapes and collaging them in. It's a lot of fun and a good way to get myself to just relax.


 Here are a couple of close-ups of the details of this spread.

On the left, you can see that I put in a lot of detail and doodling with a ballpoint pen, which was a lot of fun. Ballpoint pens write over top of acrylic paint beautifully, in adition to being cheap. I don't feel precious about the supplies I'm using, which is a nice bonus.

On the right, you can see a close up of a couple of little houses I cut and pasted from another photocopy of my work. I had done a "collage sheet" a while back with purple watercolor and doodled on top of it with a Sharpie. I love using bits of the photocopies in my artwork.


For this face, I only had one idea in mind; I wanted to try to use primarily black and white for the shading.

I used a Portfolio water-soluble oil pastel in black to outline my shapes, then I diluted it to create the shadows. I also added a little bit of the neon pink oil past to this girl's cheeks to give her a bit of character. I'm super exciting to photocopy this one, I think it will be fun to incorporate into other pages.


This is one of those pages that I'm a little on the fence about. I absolutely love the doodling on it, but I almost feel like it's a little too busy. However, I've officially called it on this one, and I'm not planning on adding anything else to it. That doesn't mean that I never will, but for now, I'm satisfied with it.


The doodling around the title was super relaxing to do, and I never felt like it needed to be particularly perfect, which was really nice. I'm also liking the color palette of pink, yellow and blue contrasting with the almost harsh black. 

I need to stamp with bubble wrap more often, because the visual texture I achieved with it was great. 


For the final page I have to share with you guys today, we have a sort of doodled, bright colored, confusing page. I had some ideas that I wanted to experiment with (using gouache, testing a pattern for a stamp I wanted to make, cut out shapes) and I knew that I wanted to use bright colors, since I think that's really been helping with my mood lately. 


The result isn't super cohesive, but I think I like it regardless.

I've been having a lot of fun playing with cutting out shapes from scraps of paper I've cleaned my brushes on. The results are always sporadic and interesting, giving me something that I never could have planned if I tried.

I hope you guys enjoyed looking at these pages, and I'll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment